Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Who is the Enemy?

I was never taught this. If I had, it would've saved much heartache. Rather, I made some poor choices & often blamed the "enemy." The enemy got way too much credit.

Here's what I mean: I fear that often we ascribe too much credit to the "enemy." In my circumstance & in many of yours this person/being would be the Adversary, the Devil, the anti-Christ, Satan, the Prince of this World.

Here is what I see happening: For example, I see a believer make a choice to pursue something. This may be a business venture, a new profession, a girl/guy, a path, etc. With some prayer they set out on the journey. But then sometimes conflict or opposition or uneasiness or realized mistakes surface & who is to blame now? Well of course, the "enemy." I hear it often, "The enemy is really attacking us. He sees how important our mission is & he doesn't like it, so he is fighting it."
I hear what your saying & the Bible says that the adversary is seeking to kill & destroy. But, sometimes I think that we give him credit simply because we didn't think things through or because God may be revealing sin in our hearts & He wants us to repent before we move forward.

Mike & I talked about this the other day & it seems to reveal much pride in the person who thinks or says "how important is my mission."

It is simply a matter of perspective. One perspective blames the "enemy" for our discomfort; this perspective is an outward view--it doesn't take responsibility. The other perspective sees "indwelling sin" as the enemy & takes responsibility over personal sin.

Now, I already here the rebuttals & don't have time to address them all--a brother's gotta work! But, just hear me out when I say that maybe the source of conflict is God-sent & instead of blaming the "enemy", ask God to reveal indwelling sin & to grant you repentance. It is often a war of the desires of the Spirit vs. the desires of the flesh. Because, let's face it--each of us have a dangerous companion that is at home within us. Often the war is within not without.

I should've waged war against indwelling sin a long time ago. You can either blame everyone else for your defeat or you can repent, walk in the light, & have fellowship with one another & God Almighty.

Comments?

1 comment:

  1. I am so guilty of this. When things are not going as planned (my plans), I tend to sat things like 'the enemy knows we are doing what is right and is attacking us.' What we have to realize is that Satan has no power over us. Like in Job's case, whatever comes our way, God allows to come. Like you said Ben, we need to stop being passive aggressive and giving Satan credit, and need to bow before our Sovereign God, and ask him what he is trying to show us in the situation, whatever it may be.

    I was reading John 6:5-10, and I asked myself this question after: What is God asking of me or telling me that is a test of my faith, and not a curse of Satan?

    Good stuff, Ben.

    ReplyDelete