Thursday, April 30, 2009

Love that Lasts, Part 2

Here are a few impressions from last weekend's marriage conference, Love that Lasts. In this post, I will pull from the first part of Session 1: Why Communicate? 

Effective Communication Leads to Fellowship
  1. Why communicate?
  • For the Glory of God: 1 Cor 10:31, Gen 1:27
  • It is not good to be Alone: Gen 2:18, Rom 12:5, Eph 4:16, Heb 3:13, Prov 18:1
  • To become One: Gen 2:18-25
  • To reflect Christ & the Church: Eph 5:32
  • To serve the other: Eph 4:29
  • To be conformed to the image of Christ: Rom 8:29, Eph 4:15
"Communication is not an end in itself. The goal of communication is fellowship... with God, our spouses, & others." 

"God's intention for marriage is companionship, intimacy, & growth in godliness for His glory."

"Just because someone communicates with ease does not mean that they are effective communicators." 

"If my marriage is not about something that is greater than me, it will end up being all about me." 

"When I speak to my wife in a sinful manner, I am presenting to our children & others a distorted view of Christ & His Church." 

"Pursue communication as a means of walking in the light, growing in godliness & helping your spouse to mature in Christ as you are becoming one." 

"Honesty has been used as an excuse for recklessness!"

One thing that really stuck out to me is asking my wife, "Joy, when I said ______, what did you hear? I need some objectivity in my life & I want to make sure what I am intending to communicate is really being communicated." 

No comments:

Post a Comment