Thursday, June 4, 2009

Questions for the Couples

Last night Joy & I attended our first care group at the church (www.cornerstonechurchofknoxville.com) we've been visiting for the last few months. Mike & Kay Simmons were gracious enough to serve us by keeping our little man, Brennan. David & Emilee Stanley welcomed us into their home along with several other couples who regularly attend the care group. Apparently last night's format was slightly different than normal, but it was very encouraging & quite humorous to say the least. Most of the couples were able to attend the marriage conference led by Gary & Betsy Ricucci, authors of Love that Lasts. Last night's care group was an opportunity to lead us into practice what we learned from the seminar. There was great discussion & I thought I would offer the questions that were discussed. I believe it would benefit any couples out there to consider these questions with your spouse, but do so through the lens of the gospel.
  • What is one area of conflict in your marriage that is unresolved and/or continues to come up time and again?
  • Where am I harboring bitterness/resentment towards my spouse for past sin/disappointments?
  • Where would I be more aware of sin in my spouse than of grace?
  • What is one sin that I’ve not asked my spouse for forgiveness? What is keeping me from asking forgiveness right now?
  • Ask your spouse—What is one area you would like me to grow in this season of life?
It the past I think these questions would've led to anger/bitterness, etc. in our marriage. Yet, last night as we discussed them prior to the care group, it seems that we both have grown significantly as we are learning how to view each other in the light of our sinfulness & the grace extended to us through Christ. He who has been forgiven much, loves much!

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to watch how the price that our Savior paid is revealed in the kindness of God and the evidence of grace that you are to Joy and Joy is to you. Failing to recognize that gift and giving God all the glory is a direct reflection of not understanding the full effect of the cross. May we remain desperate for his grace and mercy. Love you guys...M&K

    ReplyDelete