Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Sovereign Grace & the Glorious Mystery of Election"

Nothing like opening a can of worms on this beautiful Tuesday!

So... I just finished reading a short booklet produced by Sovereign Grace Ministries called, "Sovereign Grace & the Glorious Mystery of Election" by CJ Mahaney. It is one in the "Perspectives" series: "Reflections on Doctrine & Practice in the Local Church." I found it incredibly encouraging & insightful.

First, I don't presume that anyone can understand the full mind of God. I am only offering insight into something that has made a major impact upon me personally; my view of God has drastically increased & my view of self is slowly diminishing.

As CJ states, "as soon as we encounter it (election), we must all acknowledge we that we are in way over our heads." For those unfamiliar with the doctrine of election, the issue that needs clarification is how to reconcile the role of God's sovereignty with human responsibility in salvation.

There are many reasons why this doctrine is important. Without going into too much detail, I will explain how I was brought to my conclusion. For my first several years after conversion, I was convinced that I played a major role in my coming to faith in Jesus Christ. Essentially, I believed that I chose to follow Christ based upon my excellent ability to make the wise choice. The fruit of this was pride & a spirit of superiority in my life. And why not? Clearly, those who are 'saved' are superior & make wise decisions... hmmm. Wrong!

As I have grown in understanding of who God is, I have been humbled by my depravity & lack of discipline to be morally, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, & physically perfect. My pride has taken a hit! I now better understand that I am quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things. There is no room for arrogance in the Gospel.

I began to grapple with my role in salvation a few years ago. I wondered to myself, "Christians say we are saved by grace through faith & that not of ourselves, it is the gift of God (see Ephesians 2)." But there is an awfully large amount of emphasis put on 'making a decision,' 'getting right with God,' & etc. I think I realized that many of us would say we are saved through faith but not realize the source of our faith, God. Because, if it were our faith (or our prayer or realization), that too would be a 'work.' Yet, I have heard countless times taught by well-meaning teachers a theology of salvation through works.

And the terminology throughout Scripture clarifies that we are 'dead in sin.' I don't think that dead people can make themselves alive. Further, I don't know of any who can make themselves 'born again.' And we know that no one can come unto the Father except by the Holy Spirit's drawing. As you can see, my view of self in salvation is diminishing. I began to realize that the theological roads I was traveling eventually led to unbiblical thought. For example, I concluded that Christ's atoning work on the cross was sufficient for all mankind, but clearly it wasn't efficient for all man. It is only efficient for those who trust & believe. Otherwise, we would be universalists.

I am quite certain that if Christ had not chosen me, I wouldn't have chosen Him. I am reminded, "there are none who seek God, no not one." I imagine this is tough for those who grew up in the church who have always been around 'the things of God.' But, I need reminding too, in my sin I was "actively & arrogantly hostile & opposed" to God.

All this to say... I had no merit in my salvation.

One of the pastors (Matthew Lindsey) at my church taught on the doctrine of election the other day in a small group. I think his illustration was wise:
Every month, he takes each individual daughter out on a daddy/daughter date. He always knows where the date is going to end... with ice cream! After dinner, he asks his daughter, "What do you want to do now?" Without hesitation she responds as usual, "Let's get ice cream." So... they head over to get ice cream. Without fail, his daughter always gets her favorite flavor & all is well & good. But... what his daughter doesn't know is that he has already made provisions for the entire date night. He planned the restaurant, the ice cream, etc. He worked the job that paid for the date, arranged the child care so they could go out, made sure the restaurant & ice cream shop were open, etc. Yet, the daughter thinks it was her idea to have ice cream! She doesn't realize all of the details that go into arranging for her to have ice cream. All she knows is that she loves the ice cream that her daddy gets her.

Don't you sometimes think that this is how God calls us to faith? I find great assurance that "He chose us in him before the foundation of the world." Friends, I imagine that there is so much behind the scenes that led me to initial faith in Christ; it produces an awe in me! "God intentially designed salvation so that no man could boast of it... he planned it so that boasting would be absolutely excluded," says Mark Webb.

To ask the question, "who is God's elect" is to miss the point. Mahaney states, "Election is an after-the-experience explanation of your conversion." It should produce in us a holy gratefulness & worship to/of God. "Knowing that our salvation was fundamentally accomplished by God rather than ourselves," says Mahaney, "fuels our confidence & builds our faith to see others regenerated."

I would hope that this brief snippet would prove insightful to some. I am not trying to sell my perspective or view but simply testify of what I personally believe the Lord Jesus has taught me. Therefore, I welcome your comments, insight, rebuttal, etc. My high view of self is constantly being challenged & I am thankful. Thank God for His being infinitely more glorious than I imagnine!

7 comments:

  1. P.S. Realize that if one believe the Calvinistic view that C.J. Mahaney/Sovereign Grace Ministries teaches then there is what some call a "dark side."

    If only certain people are elected to salvation then there are some people that are not selected. What this means is that God in one way or another reprobated some people. This reprobates have no chance of coming to Christ.

    If you believe in a "sovereign grace"/Calvinism then realize if you have children, using the same logic, God could choose to not to "elect" them to salvation.

    Just something to think about. If one believes in election, then make sure you realize and even embrace all that it implies.

    It is great to be elected but what about the reprobates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to have my first child, and I am thoroughly humbled at the opportunity (no responsibility) that I have to share the gospel with my child. It will be my responsibility as his father, to show him the effects the gospel has on a person's life, and teach him the gospel through Scriptures.

    I am a firm believer in election, but I am not losing any sleep today over whether or not my son will be elect. Why? It is not my responsibility to worry about who is elect and who isn't. I have been praying from day one that God would call him out to his kingdom through the power of the Holy Spirit, and will continue to do so. I will make sure my son is introduced to Jesus on a daily basis, and present the gospel message to him as often as I can.

    You see, my love for God should, according to Luke 14, exceed my love for my family. Now this sounds a little backwards, but in reality - God's thoughts and ways are not mine. In loving God with all my heart, soul, and mind, I am certain I will love my son according to Scripture. I don't know whether or not he will get saved, but I am certain there will be daily opportunities for God to grant him 'saving grace', through his being exposed to the gospel.

    By the way, I am not a member of Sovereign Grace, I am a Southern Baptist minister. I just know that I am not in control of this thing, and I must have faith that God will do what God does. I am to seek satisfaction in who he is, not just in what he gives me, because through Jesus he has given me everything. My hope is in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was raised with a very man-centered view of salvation like Ben described. It was through letting scripture tell me about God rather than using scripture to back my thoughts that I bowed before Him in humility and overwhelming thankfulness and praise as I see a God-centered view of salvation. I share the gospel with others, pray, and preach repentance, but trust in the Holy Spirit's work. I also know that in having children, they are born sinners. I will raise them just as Scott put forth, but I cannot control their salvation--only God brings grace or not. NONE of us deserve grace...NONE of us can earn it. He is praised for his grace and his justice to rightly punish sin because of his infinite holiness. He is no less good because man seeks after evil and self and gets what he seeks after. Because of his grace that I do not deserve in any way, I am humbled that he has given me life in Christ and I depend on his grace daily. I deserve hell...I deserve all that I sought before he redeemed me. I praise him for his goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, and I am not in a Sovereign Grace church either. I am part of an Evangelical Free congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve:

    Hey man... thanks for your comments & I do welcome them! I appreciate your perspective although I differ for what I believe to be very good/biblical reasons. I understand the complexity that accompanies a 'Calvinistic' view of doctrine. In fact, for years I have wrestled with this & wasn't willing to come to this conclusion until recent years.

    I do have a son & one on the way, so I value what you asked me to consider. And, yes, I do believe that God could choose not to elect them. Although, I plead with God for their salvation & I take every opportunity to preach the gospel of Jesus, I cannot bring about their salvation. And, I find way too much Scripture that supports God's election throughout history.

    But... I do want to carefully offer a thought for your consideration. But, I do not want to debate you or divide. You said, "it is great to be elected but what about the reprobates?" Aren't we all reprobates given God's standards for holiness & perfection. One of the great fallacies I see in the church is a spirit of religion that allows one man to peer down his nose at "those sinners' who cannot perform to his moral ability. C.S. Lewis said that this man "can be sure he is being acted upon, not by God, but by the devil." And, this breeds a spirit of pride. And, we tend to view sin only as behavioral misconduct rather than realizing that our heart is deceitful above all things. At our core is a sin nature...we are all reprobates. Just the simple fact that God would choose to save a reprobate is amazing. We must not ask, "Why would God send ___ to hell?" Rather, "Why would God allow a reprobate like me into heaven?" It is only through Jesus' atoning work on the cross. I believe it was Jerry Bridges who said mercy is not just unmerited favor but also 'demerited.' We weren't neutral towards God in our sin, we were hostile towards God the Bible says.

    With response to the 'Sovereign Grace' church, I cannot relate to your perspective. I have found our church to be one of the most grace-filled communities I have ever been a part of. My wife agrees. I have been serving full-time at Southern Baptist churches for the past 9 years & still have strong affections for the denomination. And, I have been involved in work in the Church of God, Methodist Church, Assembly of God, Non-denominational, Presbyterian, & more. It saddens me that you would devote so much effort towards opposing the Sovereign Grace church & CJ Mahaney. I have found that our pastors are very careful to warn our members about the difference between preference/practice & principle. I don't get the sense that those who differ in preference are scorned. Rather, they seem to be dealt with grace & acceptance, choosing to find unity in the gospel rather than practice.

    Hope this helps. I welcome your comments! Ben Finch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott & Jen:

    I don't want to overlook you two. I am very thankful for your comments as well; I am regularly refreshed by your perspectives. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankful to everyone's comments, especially in the gracious manner in which they were delevered. From my perspective, the Sovereignty of God over all things, including our salvation, is bibical.
    I have lived my whole life thinking that the bible should support my beliefs, instead of my beliefs being formed by the bible. It has only been in the last few years that I seen life is to be lived God to me, not me to God. Who are we but clay in the Potter's hand, to do with as He wishes?(Romans 9:21) He is not held to a standard that we feel is fair or comfortable.(Job 40:1-2)His credibility has nothing to do with our opinion, but His credibilty is soley based on who He is, not who we think He is or should be.
    Jesus Christ showed us who God is and was enthusastically nailed to a cross because of the words he spoke and the life he lived...I am sure I would have spat in his face held the hammer.
    I will choose to speak as Job..."Behold I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand over my mouth.

    Remaining desperate...

    ReplyDelete