Friday, December 26, 2008

Another Post on Humility

You may wonder why there are so many quotes, insights, & references to humility on this blog. Well, truth is, I (Ben) have become so much more aware of the extent of my pride that I must ask God for humility daily. With God's help, I must root out "the most hidden, secret & deceitful of all lusts," namely pride (Advice to Young Converts, Edwards). 

The other night I mentioned to Joy that God, through His word, has been teaching me a great deal about pride. It seems that the more He allows my eyes to be opened to pride in my life, the more discerning I am of it in other people's lives. I catch myself just prior to saying out loud, "That is pride in your heart & you need to deal with it." But, the gentle touch of God reminds me first of my own sin. And, therefore I keep myself from "casting the first (verbal) stone." Pride is so ugly. 

Plus, I have seen & continue to see the implications of having a proud heart before God. And, who am I to be proud before our God? And, for that matter, who are you before our Sovereign God? 

"Humility is honesty assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness & our sinfulness" (Humility, Mahaney). Mahaney further said, "Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status & position of God & refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him." 

Edwards wrote, "what a foolish, silly, miserable, blind, deceived poor worm am I, when pride works" (Memoir of Jonathan Edwards). He even viewed pride, spiritual pride, as the greatest cause of the premature ending of the Great Awakening (Mahaney). 

John Stott instructed: "In every step of our Christian growth & maturity, & throughout every aspect of our Christian obedience & service, our greatest foe is pride & our greatest ally is humility." 

No comments:

Post a Comment