Monday, December 1, 2008

A Fatal Error

I recently came across the following quote from Luther:

"As sinners, we are prone to pursue a relationship with God in 1 of 2 ways. The 1st is religion/spirituality & the 2nd is the gospel. The two are antithetical in every way."

It seems that Luther had his hand on the pulse of the culture where I live.

I spent some time with dear friends last night in the small group that meets in our home on Sunday nights. I couldn't help but read this quote as it pertained to our discussion. We commented & even lamented over the fact that many Christians in our community are pursuing God by religious practice & a form of spirituality. Yet, many do not understand how their religion contradicts the gospel. Rather than using action as a support for the gospel, often times, religion replaces the gospel. So, I find that much of what is practiced is man-centered rather than God-centered. We have turned the gospel into a list of do's & don'ts, choosing rather to be moral than to know Christ. Therefore, sin is seen only in light of morality rather than in light of total depravity.

Tripp stated, "Sin is much, much more than the violation of a set of rules. Sin is more profound than rebellion against a moral code. Sin is about something deeper than behaving inappropriately. It's deeper than bad actions & wrong words...the desire to be God rather than to serve God lies are the bottom of every sin that anyone has ever committed...sin is rooted in my unwillingness to find joy in living my life under the authority of, & for the glory of, Another" (81).

My dear friends, our only hope is the gospel. There is no other leg to stand on.

Voice this to the Lord today:
"Take my life & let it be...everything, all of me...here I am use me for Your glory.
In everything I say & do, let my life honor You...here I am living for Your glory." -Tim Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment