Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Christian Perspective of "safety."

I leaned over to Joy last night in bed & said, "Why do you think that you hear so many people praying to God for safety?" They say, 'Lord, keep them safe on their trip home...Lord, help us to be safe...etc.' It is not that I don't want to be safe, but if that is what drives my decisions then I might always choose safety even at the expense of the gospel. This concerns me. I've wondered what a Christian perspective of safety would look like.

This past summer I accepted an engagement to lead a college-aged discipleship weekend for a neighboring church. Much of what I taught about was the 'Kingdom of God.' I am so thankful for some of the fruit that resulted from the weekend & how many students began to find contrast between their form of spirituality verses the gospel.

During our last session, a college student, who had recently returned from a missional summer in the Grand Canyon, raised his hand to ask a question. He was responding to a statement that I made saying, Your life can serve as an object lesson of God's love toward people (of course, I am fighting the desire to give you the context of that statement because of all of the misunderstandings of God as love. But, just go with the story; it isn't the main point. Whew! I feel better.). He posed, "Ben, what do we do when we are trying to live a life of obedience to Christ & our parents are more concerned about our personal safety than the gospel?"

At this point, I turned to my wife who happened to be with me, & gave her a big honkin' grin. As a side note, I don't smoke (never have for that matter) but I imagine I had the same feeling as a smoker getting his "fix" when the student asked that question. I caught myself off guard when I shouted, "yes, what a great question!" What a great place to be at when you must wrestle with when your love for Christ & the proclamation of the gospel may interfere with your personal safety.

Yet, I was caught off guard when his mother, who happened to be the college pastor's wife, spoke up, "Ben, I am concerned that he is going a little too far when he picks up people off the side of the road & when he goes downtown to periodically do life with the homeless. I don't think he is being safe."

I was very cautious in my response. I said, "I imagine it must be very difficult to fear for your son's safety, but I must wonder where you got the idea that God is more concerned with our safety & being comfortable than with the gospel. I don't get the idea that Paul & many other biblical examples would say that they were out of harm's way. Yet, they were consumed by the gospel & that should mean more than personal safety, even when our mothers are fearful."

We ought not be reckless, but sometimes the gospel costs people their lives. And, it is our best day when we gain Christ. For me personally, I am having a dramatic paradigm shift in my mentality as God is moving me from a more man-centered view of life to a more God-centered view of life. They seem at opposites. I don't want to reach life's end & say, "Boy, I sure had a safe life. Man...nothing ever touched me." Rather, I would dare say, "I gave it all for the glory of Christ...what seemed like such a risk is pale in comparison to knowing & gaining Christ."

As it was said of Aslan in Chronicles of Narnia, "He is not safe, but He is good!"

In Christ's refuge.

3 comments:

  1. Ben,
    Excellent thoughts. It is so easy for us here in America to believe that it is a right to have the freedom to choose religious safety over the uncertainty that comes with following the gospel. I fear that at times I choose safety instead righteousness. I don't think we should be stupid, but I do believe we need to live radical lives for Christ. Many of times this radical lifestyle appears to our "christian culture" as reckless and stupid.
    Didn't Jesus die for living a reckless life for the Father?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I think on often. I especially pray that when I am a parent that I guard against creating a safe haven or making choices based solely on safety for my family but living and teaching his gospel. Greg has taught sermons where people come up to him and argue that he would teach things differently if he had children, and we both pray that the gospel will be the forefront with us putting our trust in God and not simply safe thought. John Piper has the people who work at his church live in the inner city, and if they ask about the safety of the place, he tells them it is not the intent for safety but to glorify God. Hmmm...we need more people standing up for the gospel and its implications no matter what! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that sometimes we feel that if we mission in a war torn country, inner city etc. we are "doin it". Hence "pat me on the back". While I agree with the original post, we should also not overlook the chance to share the gospel in "safe places" as they are often right in front of us and, for most, they are presented the majority of the time. For all that do go to the inner city, religous intolerant,or war torn, it would seem a wonderful place when you walk into the teeth of the demon and feel completely at ease because of your relationship with GOD.

    ReplyDelete