Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Overcoming Discouragement in Order to Lead

Professor Michael Zigarelli, editor of Christianity 9 to 5 Magazine, devoted the latest magazine (issue 35) to "Dealing with Discouragement & Discord." I found an article by Jonathan Falwell quite encouraging; here is the link: http://www.epiphanyresources.com/9to5/9to5magazine.htm

Although I am typically hesitant to take points of application out of their original context, I do think you would be encouraged by these four "Non-negotiable Commitments" that pastors need to make to themselves & God.

Non-Negotiable Commitments:
  1. I will remain spiritually intimate with my Savior.
  2. I will always preach against sin, even when it becomes unpopular.
  3. I will not minister to my church at the expense of my family.
  4. I will not quit when I feel defeated. 
For those of you who are pastors, I encourage you to stay true to your biblical standards regardless of however unpopular it may make you among your team, colleagues, church family, etc. If we forfeit our integrity in the above areas, then we may not be worth following in the first place. I encourage you & know that your identity is found in Christ rather than the approval & opinion of man. I praise God for you!

1 comment: