Thursday, August 13, 2009

Closet Bed: One man's quest to turn a closet into a fort!

It wasn't the first time that I received odd looks & half-hearted smiles, but when I mentioned that I was going to turn our hall closet into a bedroom/reading "nook"/fort for the boys, I was greeted with an awkward moment of silence. I typically love awkward moments of silence, but this was directed towards me... how dare they! "I'm a visionary," I thought to myself... "they just don't understand the awesome factor this will bring to our hall!"

So... after searching for affirmation from family & friends, I decided to go for it in spite of their "looks". Well, kind of. Here are the steps: First, I painted it. Second, I took measurements, drew out a blueprint, talked to some buddies of mine at the mattress store, & had them cover a big piece of bed foam. Then I shamelessly asked my dad to built a custom platform for the bed. Next, I built a few bookshelves for the room. And, voila! Dull hall closet morphed into closet bed/fort.

I asked Joy afterward, "Does this mean that we now have a 3.5 bedroom house? If so, that rocks!"

But... there is much missing in there. The fun, "fort" factor is in place, but it definitely needs some design inspiration like some photos on the wall or a big wall-sized chalkboard. I have several photos I am narrowing down to make their appearance. Stay tuned my friends... I am committed to making it the sweetest closet bedroom ever (it could be the only closet bedroom ever, but that is what helps make it the coolest!). So... here are a few pics. Brennan loves it!!! What do ya think?



2 comments:

  1. This is probably the coolest room I have ever seen, no matter what anyone says job well done, I would love it if I was still small enough to fit in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and I am making our walk in closet into my son's room. He has a horrible sleeping pattern and if he is right there we are hoping the next step will be into his actual room. Good job...I would put some color in it though. We are doing a bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete