Monday, August 17, 2009

The Fear of Death... or Nothingness

For years I feared death. Or was it that I feared nothingness? I don't really know. I remember as a child lying sleepless in my bed as I contemplated & sometimes shuttered as I thought about death & non-existence. I think what I feared most was the uncertainty that accompanied death. I occasionally asked myself, "What happens when I die?"

I think that is a valid question. I imagine we have all asked it if we were to be honest about it.

For much of my life, we were fairly nominal in church attendance & I don't recall this question being brought up much in our church. I don't know if it addressed or not. Maybe I wasn't listening. If you knew me back then, you would probably say that I wasn't listening very well... you'd probably be right. But, of all places, I figure this is the place to find answers.

Yet, I can't say that I actively pursued an answer to that question, even in church. If anything, I tried to avoid it. But, there were a few times that I was sobered up with the reality of death. I've lost plenty of loved ones. We've all lost loved ones. As one guy said, "If you've lived 30 years, you know that life is full of wonderful pleasure but also excruciating pain." He was right.

Many try to cover up their insecurities about death. Woody Allen said, "Its not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

A theologian, John Stott said, "Nothing baffles us human beings more than nothingness & death. We dread nothingness & death is the one even that we have absolutely no control over; we cannot escape." Wow... sobering.

Yet, is there any hope many have asked? Most of us hope in life after death. But what does that mean & how do I know?

For me, things changed concerning my outlook of death when I heard the Gospel. The Gospel says that God is the creator of life & that out of nothingness (ex nihilo), He created all things. It also says that God is sovereign over life & death. In short, I was told (& later realized the Bible states) that those who would place their faith in Jesus Christ shouldn't fear death... for they could have life after death. When someone places their faith in Jesus Christ, God regenerates their hearts. They are made alive in Christ. You see, God's son, Jesus, lived a perfect life on earth yet was murdered. He was crucified, was dead & buried. Yet, through God's power, he was raised from the dead. He beat death so that we wouldn't have to fear it.

I found great comfort in Stott's statement, "But nothingness & death are no problem to God. On the contrary, it is out of nothing that he created the universe, & out of death that He raised Jesus."

Fear of death is subdued when we come to realization of who God is.

We ought to consider death; I think it is healthy to do so. It should, however, be an avenue that leads us to Jesus. As well, it ought to compel us to beg for God's influence over our own souls & the souls of others. Wonderful confidence can be found in the Gospel!


If you have questions or fears about death or life, or God, the Gospel, etc., you are welcome to contact me. To some extent, I understand your concern about such matters & will try to gracefully listen & do my best to offer biblical advice. Also, feel free to link this article to friends & family who may be struggling with similar questions about death.

No comments:

Post a Comment