Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A love for God's Word

Consider Psalm 119:41-48:
May Your lovingkindnesses also come to me, O Lord,
Your salvation according to Your word;
So I will have an answer for him who reproaches me, for I trust in Your word.
And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, 
For I wait for Your ordinances.
So I will keep Your law continually, forever & ever.
And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts.
I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings & shall not be ashamed.
I shall delight in Your commandments, which I love.
And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, which I love;
And I will meditate on Your statutes.
Lately, I have been reflecting on my love for God--specifically His word. It must be true that even love for Him is a gift from Him. I find myself desiring to read His word more & finding greater discontent when I settle for something far less satisfying (e.g. tv shows, internet, etc.). Yet, as I read the psalm above, I can't help but wish I had a passion for God as David did; it seemed to consume him. A certain line in this psalm (v.46) has been haunting me lately. It has to do with being ashamed of God's word. I don't typically assume myself as one who is ashamed of much anything, yet I find a sense of shame sometimes "well up" within me. In my book, A Remarkable Practice, I share the gospel & speak of the importance of our relationship with & to God. I do this because I firmly believe that people would experience vastly more fulfilled lives if God's grace & redemption were working in their lives. Of lately, I have had the opportunity to present this for a group at the University of Indiana & this past weekend in Phoenix for a group of doctors & staff. It is in these settings that I sometimes feel like apologizing for God's word & what it says about me & you & everyone. I admit, sometimes I would rather be regarded by my audience rather than God Himself; this is disturbing. 

Yet, there is hope. I find myself growing in confidence the more I speak of God's love to others. It is for this reason I have pursued this path anyways--to share Christ & Him crucified. Even now I am encouraged by the opportunity to present the gospel to many who may never grace the presence of my church. What a privilege! May God grant us the privilege to "speak of Your testimonies before kings & shall not be ashamed." May our love for God far outweigh our desire to please men. May we pursue Him with fervency & ignite a passion for His word! As David said, "I shall delight in Your commandments, which I love. And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, which I love." 

Dear friends, worship God!

No comments:

Post a Comment