Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Scripture Meditation as a Spiritual Discipline

The past few weeks at church my pastor has been teaching on the topic of Scripture Meditation as a Discipline for Spiritual Growth. If you know me very well, you would realize that this is very exciting for me. Something about spiritual growth & the disciplines gets my blood pumping. 

One of the comments that Wayne stated was, "multi-tasking is not a virtue." As I received his instruction I couldn't help but think, "he just called me out." Regardless of his intention, I was reminded that I am practically always multi-tasking. Let me offer some examples of my common behaviors: I read while watching television; I type while talking on the phone; I journal while listening to music or a sermon; I listen to music while mowing or driving or working; I work on a minimum of 3-4 projects at a time; I read approximately 3-4 books at a time. In summary, rarely does anything have my full attention. This is not a virtue. 

I suppose many spiritual disciplines are helping me realign with God's values. For example, taking a sabbath rest is helping me cease from trying to create anything & simply enjoy God's good gift of today. Journaling is helping me voice prayers to God that I wouldn't normally say (I am not that talkative of a person). But currently, the discipline of scripture meditation is probably most beneficial. I ask myself the question, "what do I spend most of my time thinking about?" Well, when I have not spent time reading & internalizing God's word, the answer is dreadful. Yet, when I fill my mind with God's precepts...I am refreshed. Consider just a few passages:

"And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, which I love; & I will meditate on Your statutes." Psalm 119:48

"I will extol You, my God, O King, & I will bless Your name forever & ever. 
Every day I will bless You, & I will praise Your name forever & ever.
Great is the Lord, & highly to be praised, & His greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall praise Your works to another, & shall declare Your mighty acts.
On the glorious splendor of Your majesty & on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.
Men shall speak of the power of Your awesome acts, & I will tell of Your greatness.
They shall eagerly utter the memory of Your abundant goodness & will shout joyfully of Your righteousness." Psalm 145:1-7

"These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your sons & shall talk of them when you sit in your house & when you walk by the way & when you lie down & when you rise up. 
You shall bind them as a sign on your hands & they shall be as frontals on your forehead.
You shall write them on the doorposts of your house & on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9

May we give ourselves the gift of Scripture meditation. Let it be something that we schedule into our daily/weekly routine. Surely we will be changed & our character reformed as the instrument of God's word works in our hearts. 

Ben Finch

2 comments:

  1. i love this!! its like last week when i was trying to memorize my verses for Sunday..i kept thinking about the verses-they rolled through my head constantly-what a beautiful thing it does to out thinking, our words and our actions when our mind is "stayed on HIM"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great stuff. On Sunday I started a new series on Jonah. I had a couple of people come up to me and say that it was the best sermon they have ever heard, and asked what I did different. As I pondered and reflected on the previous week, I realized that I had meditated on these verses and they had actually internally been written on my heart. I had the memorized not just the words but the meanings of each of them.

    In the end I said, 'I spent more time internalizing and feasting on the Word, that they actually became a part of me.' Wow...what a wake up call for me!

    Thank Ben for this reminder

    ReplyDelete