Monday, October 27, 2008

Lunch with Brennan

As many of you know, my life has been fundamentally impacted by the writings of author Brennan Manning. So much so, my son's name is John Brennan. As a new Christian, I happened to pick up his book, A Ragamuffin Gospel, & my life would never be the same. I read numerous stories of God's redeeming grace & how it changed peoples' lives. I read of Brennan's journey as he volunteered to be a prisoner in order to share God's love toward the inmates. Again, of the time when he served the homeless by becoming homeless. Also, I read stories of how the religious became disciples of Jesus, prostitutes who became loyal wives & mothers, prisoners whose spiritual chains were broken, alcoholics who became pastors, & more. Personally, God revealed to me through Brennan's writing that I could come to God as I am, not as I should be. I found freedom from legalism & accepted Christ's invitation to mercy. Even at this moment, I find it hard to adequately express what his writings have done for me. I have a deeper love because Brennan helped me realize the expanse of God's grace. 

So, as a gift from my wife, she found out that Brennan Manning was going to be in Birmingham this weekend & contacted the host organization, thefreedomsource.com, to arrange my registration for the conference. (The director, Sandor Cheka, was very gracious & a pleasure to meet. We are about the same age & I was totally encouraged by his work to form the Addiction Coalition). When I arrived, I was met by the staff of Freedom Source & they allowed me some personal time with Brennan. In fact, I had the opportunity to have a brief lunch with him, just the two of us. May I share with you my journal entry from Friday:

"Its Octover 24th & I drove down to Birmingham this morning to see & meet one of my heroes of the faith--Brennan Manning. I was so nervous on the trip down because I wanted to find him as graceful as I had always imagine (or sensed from his books). By an act of grace from the Lord, I was privileged to sit & visit with him over a brief lunch. I told him that through his books, he has been a mentor to me & has helped heal my image of God & self. I was so grateful for the moment he turned to me, placed his hand on my forearm & said, "I am so glad you are here!" I couldn't agree more. Thank the Lord for His kindness--He made a dream of mine come true." 

Conversation before lunch:


Myself & Brennan Manning



1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome. I am glad that you got this opportunity, and I too have been mentored through his writings.

    Ben, you have been a great source of mentorship (I don't think that is a word, but oh well) in my life. I truly appreciate you for your encouragement and guidance. Know that you are, like Brennan, are a great example of humility and grace. Thanks Bro.

    ReplyDelete