Monday, November 17, 2008

A Hurried Existence, Part 1

For years, I didn't know I was allowed to rest.

"Our culture invariably supposes that action & accomplishment are better than rest, that doing something--anything--is better than doing nothing" said Wayne Muller.

When I entered my doctoral studies at Regent University we were tested for burnout. Guess what? I tested "burnt." From years in ministry I had developed 'compassion fatigue.' Or as Mark Driscoll experienced, 'death by ministry.'

If I were to confess addiction, I suppose my substance of choice is that of achievement, recognition, accomplishment, & action. I know it is a highly acceptable addiction in most communities, yet acceptance does not mean virtue. Something can be extremely popular & be dead wrong.

For the next few days/weeks/whatever, I am going to dedicate some blog space to principles of Sabbath keeping & rest. As one person said, "KEEP THE SABBATH" is the only commandment people brag about breaking. Personally, I do not want to be disobedient in this area. So...I am going to be sharing some failures & successes in this area & suggest readings for further study.

If you are a person in ministry (or just addicted to control), I beg you & offer a loving rebuke if you are ignoring this principle. You & I must realize that God will do more with 6 than 7 (days). You will be a drastically more compassionate & loving person if you would accept God's gift of Sabbath. Lynne Baab said, "Without time to stop, we cannot notice God's hand in our lives, practice thankfulness, step outside our culture's values or explore our deepest longings."

Accept the grace of rest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing this, Ben. It is an art and obedience in which we must be taught and accountable.

    ReplyDelete