Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What kind of love is this?

Photo by Mark Hemmings at the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts: “THE PRODIGAL SON” - by Constantin Meunier.

This morning marks the most powerful time we've had yet in our men's small group; I can't help but share. Through the help of dear friends, God is doing in my life what I have only dreamed of. I feel hopeful that regardless of circumstance, we will each spur one another along in faith. I can be myself & that is okay.

Today we all teared-up as we spoke of the defenses we build against others; in essence, we shared of our inability to trust. It is not that we don't desire to trust God or others, it is just that we have & have been hurt. Because of this, we often do not know how to accept the perfect love of God--a love without conditions. We sometimes believe the lie that God is just like everybody else...He will let us down.

I was reminded of a verse foreshadowing Christ's ministry. Of Him is said, "A bruised reed He will not break & a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish" (Isaiah 42:3). Though you may feel bruised, He will not break you & extinguish your dim spirit. Rather, He will minister & cultivate your heart. You can trust Him; Jesus reveals the heart of the Father.

I was reminded of His love through the story of Dox Quixote, The Man from La Mancha. If you remember, Quixote would always speak words of love, kindness, & beauty over his beloved; her name was Aldonza. He called her Dulcinea, "sweetness." Because of her lifestyle (a life of blatant promiscuity--a whore), Aldonza would refuse his comments & lash out in frustration at him. In the climax of the story she says, "Tenderness I cannot bear." She was so accustomed to being used, mistreated, & taken advantage of that she couldn't accept his love. Yet, his kindness would eventually overcome her & tear down her defenses; love won. Eventually, Aldonza begins to believe the man from La Mancha. She says to him, "My name is no longer Aldonza, I am now Dulcinea."

The Father rejoices over the humble. He is forever patient in our brokenness as we say, "tenderness I cannot bear." Yet, He speaks over you a new name--a name you will grow into as you come to trust His goodness. He is the Father of the prodigal & is near to the broken-hearted.

-Prodigal Me

No comments:

Post a Comment